My name is Sammia Poveda, Ecuadorian and ICT4D enthusiast, with a Freirean twist. My research evaluates different approaches to basic ICT training offered in Campinas, Brazil, aiming to find out what elements may improve critical ICT usage.
I am also involved in other activities. I am a co-coordinator of the Technology and Design Working Group of the Human Development and Capability Association (HDCA), co-organiser of the ICT4D London Meet-up, and I also run a Latin American ICT4D discussion group using Facebook as a platform.
Recently I have been engaging more and more in teaching. I am a PhD tutor for The Brilliant Club, which tries to encourage students to go to university by offering university stile seminars at schools considered most vulnerable in the London area. Also, I teach in the Geography Department at Royal Holloway various topics, such as Digital Literacies, ICT4D and Gender, Human Geography, and Environmental Sustainability.
Before starting the PhD, I worked in international development for four years with the German Development Agency (GIZ) and the Amazon Cooperation Treaty Organization (ACTO), which worked with the eight Amazon Basin Countries: Brazil, Colombia, Venezuela, Guyana, Suriname, Ecuador, Bolivia and Peru. This work also involved liaising with other international organizations such as UNCTAD, UNFCCC and CBD. During my stay in Brasilia, I also served two years pro bono as the Institutional Development Director of the Centre for Digital Inclusion (CDI).
Appropriating ICTs for Developing Critical Consciousness and Structural Social Change
10th December 2013, 9:00am at University of Cape Town
Good practice in engaging children and youth in development
1st July 2014, 2:00pm at Deutsche Welle Global Media Forum
CivCity: symposium on Civilisation, Infrastructure and the City
7th November 2014, 10:00am at UCL
Sharing Experiences: Applying the Capabilities Approach in ICT4D (Workshop)
18th May 2015, 9:00am at ICTD 2015
Is a Transformative ICT4D possible (& how would we know it if we saw it)?
18th May 2015, 1:30pm at ICTD 2015
- RT @amnesty: On #InternationalDayAgainstRacism & every day we MUST stand up to ensure equality, justice & human rights for all. https://t.co/xdf5EaW1AJ — 4 days 6 hours ago
- RT @ictlogist: La transformació digital del tercer sector https://t.co/sPM80WNvAi via @jaume_albaiges — 4 days 19 hours ago
- RT @phat_controller: 6 Funded PhD in Informatics studentships at the University of Oslo https://t.co/aokmAoYOnb https://t.co/2qRuJRjQB9 — 4 days 19 hours ago
- RT @phat_controller: Read This: Richard Heeks @CDIManchester reviews new book by Manuel Castells & instead recommends @dorotheakleine https://t.co/KNKzpxxEpA — 4 days 19 hours ago
- RT @phat_controller: Help @Oxfam work out what's next for ICT4D by answering these simple questions https://t.co/GTxnibBBIB #ict4d https://t.co/7KgcOCwVcR — 4 days 19 hours ago
- RT @TimUnwin: Prize in memory and name of Paolo Brunello just announced for students at Liceo "G.B. Quadri" and ITIS "A. Rossi" https://t.co/I7rNMbvfCO — 4 days 20 hours ago
- 1 of 18
- next ›